Pages Navigation Menu

Everything You Need to Know About Ulsan

How to File Your Taxes In Ulsan

Taxes are difficult enough in our home countries, but filing them in Korea is something that needs to be done and it is not always easy. If you work at a public school or company they may file your taxes for you. If this is you, you are one of the lucky ones.

Foreigners, just like Koreans, are required to submit their tax forms on a yearly basis between Jan. 25 and Feb. 10. The year-end tax settlement is usually around May 31st (at least for 2019). The offices in Ulsan will be set up to make this as simple as possible. However, many foreigners have no idea about when and how to do this.

**If you are worried about paying more taxes than you feel that you should, please contact a Korean accountant. The information below is how to SIMPLY file your taxes. This is the BASIC and FREE method and is to be used for those seeking to file their taxes by the end of the month.

**Keep in mind that this is the basic method and the people hired will only do the bare minimum and often in Korean.

** If you are seeking an Accountant that speaks English and can do a deep dive into your accounts, please search the facebook group as there is contact details available.


File Your Taxes Online

Online Home Tax System

To file a tax return online go to the Hometax system (click the button above) and find “종합소득세 신고” and then follow the instructions. You will then have to login and then select “신고서 선택”  and then choose “신고서 작성 및 제출” and go from there. The site is in Korean, so you might want to get help from a co-worker or friend.

English Services for Foreign Tax Payers

File Your Taxes at the Tax Office

** To combat the spread of the COVID-19, it is recommended that you file your taxes online***

Take the letter that you received in the mail into the NTS office in Samsandong. The proceedure will take about 5 mintues, depending on the amount of people ahead of you. Keep in mind that this is tax season for everyone and this will reflect on how busy the tax off will be.

The level of English that the attendant may have greatly various from none-at-all to a basic speaking ability, but you’d be best to prepare for the fact that they may not be able to communicate in English. However, they may not talk very much, if you come prepared.

Things you will need: ARC card, bank account number, and your tax letter.

How to do it:

1. Go to the tax office in Samsandong

The Tax office is located near the Samsandong Emart

2. Walk in the main doors

Once inside follow this arrow to the tax office

3. Follow the big yellow arrow

hand your letter to this guy and he will give a number and direct you where to go

4. Hand your letter to the guy at the desk and he will give you a number and tell you where to go.
5. Once your number is called hand the person your letter and they will also ask for your name and phone number.

Wait for your number to be called and then go to the correct desk.

6. They will enter in some stuff and may ask you for your bank account number for a refund and whatnot.
7. He will print off your form and you are done.

Ulsan Tax Office: (click link for more info)

Address: Ulsan, Namgu, Galbatro 49 Samsandong 1632-1   울산 남구 갈밭로 49, 삼산동 1632-1

Phone: 052-259-0200

Bus Stop: Ulsan Saemuso (tax office)

Bus Numbers: 107, 701, 927, 257


*** results may vary according to your income and possibly job and/or location.
*** the longer you wait, the longer the lines will be. Try to avoid peak times and go right after you finish work. 4:30 pm is when it is usually a little quieter.

If you think that there are some issues with your tax return or you feel that it is too high, consult an accountant. You can find more information here (link) but results can vary and these people charge money. So keep that in mind when/if you decide to contact a professional. The above listed services are adequate for most foreigners in Korea.

Additional Tax Information Links:

National Tax Service English site

Korea4Expats Tax Guide (2015)

Just Landed Guide


Jason Teale is a freelance photographer and writer based in South Korea specializing in travel, Cinemagraphs, food, and documentary photography. Available for assignments in Ulsan, Busan, Seoul, and nationwide.